Monday, March 06, 2006

Tylenol Capsule

Sample: Tylenol "Rapid Release" Capsule.
Source: CVS Pharmacy, Columbia SC.

I'm sure you've seen the ads for these. Laser-Drilled Holes! Quick Release!

Well, the holes are pretty cool to look at. Unfortunately, they do nothing.

I thought to myself "how cool would it be if I could dissolve the Tylenol from the inside and leave the capsule untouched?"

It would be pretty cool.

So I got some absolute alcohol from the lab, hoping that I could selectively dissolve the drug interior without affecting the gelatin capsule. Imagine my surprise when, upon adding the capsule to the solution, the entire grey band immediately disintegrated off the pill. It's been in the alcohol for about a week now. The red and blue are still untouched. The pill? Untouched.

The holes are for show. The real material miracle is in the grey band.



Tylenol Rapid Release Capsule, 10x.



Tylenol Rapid Release Capsule, 60x.



Tylenol Quick Dissolve Capsule, 200x.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home